Joining all parts together
After many months of work most of the wheels and pinions were finished and it was time to assemble the going train of the clock.
On the above pictures the wheels and pinions between the dial plate and the first bar are just visible. Not all the wheels of the going train are present at this time. The arbor with the escape wheel is not in its place yet. Doesn't it look like a handsome table clock on the first picture?
I still had to make many parts of the clock. The next project was the making of the hamerspring and other parts of the hammer.
Basically the hammer spring's purpose is to make sure that the hammer strikes the bell with one single blow only each time a pin on the great wheel lifts the hammer rod. The spring usually has two parts. One part is connected with the bottom plate and the other, usually L-shaped, is connected with the top plate. The L-shaped spring is sometimes decorated and I thought it would be nice to not just leave it plain.
In books and on the internet several examples can be found of these L-shaped springs and I noticed that they often appear to have a peculiar shape at the end of the "L". I'm pretty sure that this shape, at least originally, represents the beak of a serpent. On most clocks this serpent's beak is simplified to an abstract shape. Being a professional engraver I couldn't resist the temptation to construct a real serpent. Compare the pictures of springs from original clocks and my version.
The procedure is always the same: first I make all parts of a certain section of the clock. For this section I need the pin wheel (or great wheel) the hammer spring and counter, the detent, the hammer and lifter. All parts are carefully made and joined together. No glue or solder is used, every part is riveted as can be seen on this picture.
Finally all parts are assembled and put in working order. The clock strikes right away by simply turning the pin wheel by hand. To my surprise there's no need to adjust anything. Not bad considering the fact that I constructed this mechanism from a technical drawing I made.