Engraving and assembling
The next step was to scrape the plates and engrave it. The easiest part of the job, since I've been working as an engraver for about twenty years now.
The plates had a nice texture after the scraping and I could engrave them right away. Although the whole clock was drawn on paper first and all the measurements were known, I decided to wait with cutting them in the right proportions. I needed a top and a bottom plate first.
When they were ready I could assemble them with the pillars. Casting and forging them was quite easy, even though they have to be rather thick. The frame of the clock was ready now and I could fit the other plates to it.
A difficult job was to rivet four small bars on the chapter ring. They fit in four holes in the dial plate and are locked with pins on the backside of the dial plate. I succeeded after some difficulties to get it right.
I filed all plates until they fitted nicely and smoothly to the pillars.
Then the bell strap had to be made. I didn't know how to cast a complete strap out of one piece. So I decided to cast and forge a plate, and cut the strap out and bend it in the right shape. This isn't the proper method but the result was very reasonable.
Casting frets was the next challenge. I had used the 'lost wax method' to cast the feet and finials. I'm aware that this is a modern technique and that's why I wanted to use an ancient technique to cast the frets. Casting in sand is an old technique that is still used at present which has some advantages. Frets are quite thin and have many holes which makes it difficult for the melted brass to fill in all the gaps. It took me several attempts before I succeeded to cast a complete fret without missing parts. Casting the door locks turned out to be much easier.